Fire in Tanglewood quickly suppressed

Lake Gaston, South Hill and La Crosse volunteer fire departments were dispatched to a mobile home residence on Locust Street in the Tanglewood Shores subdivision in Bracey on Tuesday afternoon around 1 p.m. after a fire started in a bedroom of the residence.
Fire department personnel began arriving on scene within moments and observed smoke coming from the home upon arrival.
Lake Gaston Volunteer Fire Department responded to the incident with a dozen firefighters aboard four apparatus and began an “aggressive interior attack,” locating fire in the rear bedroom of the mobile home.
Department personnel from Lake Gaston, aided by South Hill and La Crosse, quickly began suppressing the blaze and were able to extinguish it before it caused extensive damage.
“Anytime you have a fire in a singlewide mobile home and are able to extinguish it with out extensive damage, that’s good,” said Lake Gaston Volunteer Fire Department Deputy Chief John Zubrod.
While the cause of the blaze has not been officially determined, it is believed that the fire was caused by a space heater.
According to a neighbor of the homeowner who experienced the fire, the homeowner was not home at the time the fire began, however arrived a short time later.
The neighbor said she observed smoke coming from the residence, prompting her to call 911 and report the fire.
No one, including the homeowner, neighbors or emergency responders, were injured during the incident.
Lake Gaston would like to thank South Hill and La Crosse fire departments for their assistance, as well as Southside Rescue Squad, which also responded to the incident.