Shooting death being investigated as a homicide

For the second time in three months the Chase City Police Department is investigating a murder committed on the streets of the town.
At approximately 6:42 p.m. on Wednesday evening, officers responded to a reported motor vehicle crash in the 1000 block of Boyd Street near the Greater Union Baptist Church. Arriving on the scene, officers found Dwight E. Tucker Jr. deceased in his vehicle.
Tucker is believed to have been shot before he crashed, and the death is being investigated as a homicide.
According to Chase City Police Chief J.A. Jordan, Tucker had been traveling north on Boyd Street when his vehicle left the road and struck another vehicle.
Members of the Chase City Rescue Squad were quickly dispatched to the scene to begin lifesaving efforts, but Tucker, 26, was declared dead.
Speaking on Friday morning, Jordan said the Chase City Police Department is withholding some details due to the ongoing nature of the investigation. He did say, however, that an extensive search was undertaken immediately after the incident.
The search involved approximately 20 officers from the Chase City Police Department, the Mecklenburg County Sheriff’s Office, Virginia State Police and several K-9 units from Virginia State Police and the Brunswick County Sheriff’s Office.
The search, said Jordan, centered on the area around Green Acres Trailer Court outside of Chase City and a nearby wooded area.
Jordan also said it is unclear if Tucker was shot from another vehicle or from a stationary position.
Although the search did not turn up a suspect or suspects, Jordan said a male was taken into custody later that evening on an unrelated incident.
No motive in the killing has been determined at this time.
The body was transported on Thursday to the State Medical Examiner’s Office in Richmond for autopsy. The results of the autopsy have not been released at press time.
On Friday, Jordan said his department, assisted by other law enforcement agencies, continues to investigate Wednesday’s murder, following both tips and leads in the case. He added that he hopes members of the public will step forward with any information they might have on the case.
Chase City had gone through more than a decade without a murder until October when the body of 33-year-old Michael Jerome Stewart was found on Washington Street, dead with a single gunshot wound to the neck-face area. That case remains under investigation.
Anyone with information on either case is asked to call the Chase City Police Department at (434) 372-4244 or Mecklenburg County Crime Solvers at 1-877-676-8477.